Thursday, May 3, 2012

Obamamania 5/3

Just got back from Chris Gibson and Paul Tonko's press conference about President Barack Obama's impending visit to GlobalFoundries. I'm sitting in our newspaper's video room and I know I'm going to be here for a while while everything buffers, so I think this is as good a time as any to share some items with you that I know won't make it into tomorrow's print story.

1. Yes, District Attorney Jim James A. Murphy III says Brent Dickinson is still in Saratoga County Jail pending his next court appearance.

2. Paul Sausville said he didn't get the opportunity to shake Obama's hand the last time the president visited the Capital Region. He told me he was disappointed, but hopes to change that this time around.
"I have a key to the town that I want to give him and I have a recording of the song of Malta that I'd like to play for him," Sausville said.
3. Remember those county community forums the supervisors are holding? Tom Wood had one scheduled prior to Malta's Town Board meeting on Monday night. I suppose that makes him the second-highest elected official that will give a speech in the town next week.

4. The Saratogian City Desk blog and Saratoga County Observer blog are currently in a heated battle to determine which of us gets to cover Obama's visit. A bunch of us newspaper folk were supposed to go bowling tomorrow, but I'm now reconsidering because he seems really gung-ho about it and I'm worried he'll pull a stunt like this to strengthen his chances.



5. Props to V_is_for_Victory for what might have been the funniest comment I've ever read on our web site. In case you missed it, V gave the odds of state and local elected officials getting shout outs or photo ops at the event. I don't necessarily agree with them, but I chuckled at a few. Nicely done.

That's all for now. The White House says to expect more information about Obama's visit Friday. I tried reaching out to GlobalFoundries to see if this is something for which the average person might be able to get tickets because they're pretty tight on security, but I haven't heard back.

I'll post an update when I hear something.

Until next time,
MC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home